Sky News and Chris Kaba

ByRuweyda Ahmed

Sky News Newsroom, behind the scenes.

Sky News presenter Sarah-Jane Mee has wrongly claimed people protesting over police shooting were heading to Buckingham palace to mourn the Queen. 

Chris Kaba was a 23-year-old man unjustly shot by the Metropolitan Police after a chase in South London. This is another example of an institution affected by systematic racism, wherein a young man was wrongly racially profiled, and a life was taken. At the same time, Queen Elizabeth II was pronounced dead. We can’t control where mainstream news attention goes, and it is interesting to see how this led to a lack of effort in presenting other key events happening in the country. 

Sky News operates under broadcasting regulation and is watched by tens of millions of people, usually considered as a reliable, impartial source of news. It is never appropriate for mainstream media to wrongly broadcast any information, let alone a murder. And it would be wilfully ignorant to ignore the role of race, as a black man’s murder being mis-presented. Though some might see this as a harmless mistake, this is a microcosm that shows us how black murder victims can be easily dismissed by mainstream media.  

It is easy to become desensitised with how much media consumption there is through news and social media. But we must remember that this man was an innocent human being who was killed by an institution that should protect. For protest about a human being’s murder to be mistaken by a huge news outlet is disrespectful, but also lazy and unprofessional. It is slightly worrying to even know how that can go through so many people to reach our screens, that amount of misinformation. Do we all have to fact check what Sky presents? Probably. It should make you question how tightly broadcasting regulations are followed the next time you watch Sky.  

Sarah-Jane Mee goes on to comment ‘look at that’, ‘it is an incredible sight’, dwelling on about how it is lovely and unifying to see so many Brits meeting each other and fondly remembering the Queen. And it is just that – a clear example for different Brits realities in the UK right there and then. For some people they would be walking around, meeting each other, and fondly remembering the Queen. Whilst others, particularly Black brits, would have been protesting another unjust murder. Feeling the depth of this act connected to their identity, confirming why Black brits may fear the police. Truly feeling like it is something that can’t be escaped. Two deaths happening at the same time with different effects for different people, a show of two different Britains.   

When there were complaints – obviously, Sarah-Jane Mee apologised in a tweet. Essentially saying Sky will cover the protest later, still considering something so significant as an afterthought. It is not normal for a murder with the perpetrator being a police officer to be presented like this. And it is worth noting this crime wouldn’t have happened to a White man. The media can exacerbate biases and if Black people can’t even be respected in death it is hard to expect change anywhere else. 

Image “Behind the scenes at Sky News (_K3_4558)” by [Ross] is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.