Stretching your loan: money saving tips

ByMolly Newhouse

LEARN TO DRINK CHEAPER BOOZE

If your taste in alcohol is similar to what your parents display in their drinks cabinet, it is time to change. I am talking own brand wine and those giant two litre bottles of cider from Lidl. It is going to taste awful at first. Power through.

FREE FOOD

This sounds good already, right? Join Facebook pages (such as Food Sharing Edinburgh) that offer out free food, allow you to get rid of your unwanted items, and get aware of where these lovely food sharing Edinburgh people offer their free bread. The Meadows are usually a good bet.

CHEAPER GYM

Save money on your gym membership by joining a sports society, or if that is too big a commitment, then get an off-peak membership and make yourself a morning person.

BUDGET

Serious note here. Budget. Excel is your best friend. Work out how much you can actually afford to spend each week and then stick to it.

TESCO MEAL DEAL OVER SAINSBURY’S

You should all have heard that Sainsbury’s have taken their ‘taste the difference’ sandwiches out of their meal deal. Well, they have also reduced your snack selection to fruit or crisps (no more cake or yoghurt, people) and taken out most wraps. This makes Tesco the best supermarket meal deal right now.

FIND REDUCED SECTIONS AT THEIR PEAK

Co-op on Newington Road has their best deals on Fridays after 5pm. Tesco on Causewayside starts filling up the reduced section at 4pm and finishes at 7pm. Do not be scared to ask the staff when the reduced section is prime.

TAKE PART IN A STUDY

You are a student at a big university in a big city. There are always studies going on that pay (cash or vouchers) for an hour or so of your time. Find them on the CareerHub or Gumtree.

[Image: Public Domain Images @ Pixabay]