Sundried Tomato and Roasted Pepper Pesto

BySana Sehr Rasool

Image: Sana Sehr Rasool

I’ve always been a big fan of pesto pasta, but the store bought stuff never really seems to do it for me. You just can’t beat the aroma and flavour of fresh homemade pesto, and when it’s so simple to make there’s really no excuse not to.

Ingredients:

– 2 red/orange/yellow peppers

– 1 jar sundried tomatoes

– 1 packet fresh basil leaves

– 5 cloves chopped or crushed garlic

– 2/3 green chilli’s (optional)

– ¼ cup olive oil

– salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

– Chop up the peppers, coat with a bit of olive oil and put in the oven at medium heat to roast until the edges are browning.

– In a pan heat a generous amount of olive oil and lightly roast the crushed garlic and green chilli’s for a couple of minutes. This infuses the oil with a lovely flavour.

– Add in the sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers, basil, salt and pepper and sauté for just a minute so everything is mixed in nicely.

– Allow to cool before blending until smooth (I use a hand blender personally as I find it easier to clean). And you’re good to go!

The best thing about pesto is you can experiment with different ingredients and levels of spice etc. and customise it exactly to your liking; mine usually tastes a little different every time. It’s also incredibly versatile. I make a small container-full each time and store it in the fridge to use on flatbreads, Panini’s and pastas. With breads it is best used thick like a spread but for pasta just heat a couple of tablespoons in a little water to loosen it up and use as a sauce. It goes incredibly well with a bit of grilled chicken and spaghetti and as it’s bursting with flavour it’s a delicious minimal effort meal. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

– 2 red/orange/yellow peppers

– 1 jar sundried tomatoes

– 1 packet fresh basil leaves

– 5 cloves chopped or crushed garlic

– 2/3 green chilli’s (optional)

– ¼ cup olive oil

– salt and pepper to taste

Directions: