Culture Theatre

The Box Office is open and the show must go on… at home

If your regular TV shows and movies just aren’t providing enough escapism anymore as this period of restrictions and lockdowns drags into winter, it’s time to turn to the stage. While theatres remain closed, we are lucky enough to be able to access a wealth of dramatic content online. So dim the lights, find your seats, and check out these top places to recreate a night out at the theatre from home.

Bristol Old Vic: The Old Vic theatre has a variety of content available online, mainly through their Youtube channel. 

Having run a season of online shows throughout the first lockdown, they are now preparing a second season of content to keep people entertained. You can find full length shows from the BOV Young Company, as well as snippets and behind the scenes from dozens of other shows that have been put on in the past.

The Shows Must Go On!: For those missing when life was a little more musical, this is the place for you. It started early this year with premiering a new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical every week but since has a wide range of shows to watch. 

Streamed every Friday, the full shows then remain available on the Youtube channel along with lots of behind the scenes and insights from Lloyd Webber himself. Now starting a season of Shakespeare, Richard II is the next exciting show to be posted.

Shakespeare’s Globe: The Globe has a huge collection of filmed shows available to buy or rent via their on-demand platform, Globe Player. If you can spare as little as five pounds, this is a great way to support a theatre that is really suffering from not being open. 

As for free content, a full version of Romeo and Juliet at the Globe is there to watch on their Youtube channel. Besides this, you can find live online performances, workshops, and talks all designed to keep theatre alive while we stay at home.

Netflix and Disney Plus:

These two streaming sites have their fair share of theatre content, especially musicals. On top of plenty of musical to film adaptations, you can find shows filmed on stage such as Newsies and of course, Hamilton. Just in case you hadn’t watched it enough times already.

Illustration: Eve Miller