Comedy Culture Fringe Theatre

The End of The World Show — Review

Venue: The Beehive Inn, The Lounge

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Squeezed into the small upstairs bar of The Beehive Inn, The End of the World comedy show takes a satirical look at the current state of the country, before attempting to reimagine the post-apocalyptic world through the daft, but sometimes serious, suggestions of two Scottish comedians. Host Stuart Murphy is joined on stage by veteran of the Fringe Vladimir McTavish, as well as Shetlands rising star Marjolein Robertson (who replaced Jay Lafferty in Thursday afternoon’s show).

First on stage, Murphy quickly livens up the midday audience with an easy, witty charm. Bouncing effortlessly off the audience with his opening remarks, he presents the room with a humorous mishmash of jokes which receive loud laughter and nicely set the pace for the rest of the show. Then joined up front by McTavish and Robertson, Murphy opens the floor to their comedic insights into current affairs, before leading them through a series of questions intended to establish the rules and regulations of the brave new societies they would create in the event of the world’s end.

McTavish’s experience is certainly an asset to the group; he confidently regales the audience with his tongue-in-cheek appreciation of the alcohol content of hand gel and pokes scornful fun at the Prime Minister. Unfortunately, the combination of the small bar room and a rather packed audience means that his use of video snippets to illustrate these jokes falls somewhat flat, as those of us sat at the back are unable to crane our necks uncomfortably enough to see the far end of the room. Robertson brings an animated liveliness to the show and her stories are full of a comical buzz. Whilst plentiful, her quick-witted one liners are occasionally repetitive, although Murphy does well to move the group past any awkward snags. Ultimately, the show is a good laugh and a nice way to slip a lunchtime pint and a bit of comedy into your day.

Aug 19-22, 26-29, 13:30
https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/end-of-the-world-show
Image Credit: Pearse O’Holloman