• Tue. May 21st, 2024

The important role of literature in social justice movements

ByErin Shirley

Open book of 'Twelve Years A Slave'

Literature has a long history of serving a greater function than merely as a source of entertainment or leisure. Texts, of any age, language, and origin are a means of expressing the raw truths of human emotion, predicament and concern. They are a way for us to hear the voices of past generations, as well as the voices of those that are often ‘unheard’ within society. Literature provides disenfranchised individuals with a means of expressing their stories, and in this way (especially more recently as we see the gradual breakdown of what has always been a largely Westernised canon of literature) may act as a more universal reflection of the conscience of society itself – driving social change as novels often defy the status quo. As E.M. Foster once stated; “what is wonderful about great literature is that it transforms the man who reads it towards the condition of the man who wrote.”

A novel has the ability to impose a deep, ethical reflection on a reader – hopefully leading to a more tolerant and empathic viewpoint as we discover characters of various cultures, genders, religions and sexual orientations who face crises of their own. If society reacts to literature in a living, mobile way, we see its power manifest in the human desire for social justice as a whole. 

Considering texts as forms of social protest, it feels impossible to ignore books that fall under the dystopian genre, as they extrapolate socio-political realities and plunge readers into dark futures, acting as catalysts for social change.

One novel that serves as a perfect example of how literature can fuel social justice movements is Margaret Atwood’s ever relevant The Handmaid’s Tale. Although the bonnetted and red cloaked women may seem alien to a 21st century reader upon a first look at the text, they could not be closer to home. Atwood refers to her 1985 novel as speculative fiction. As she ominously states, “there’s nothing in The Handmaid’s Tale that didn’t happen, somewhere.” Amplifying this further, when it was first released Atwood would even bring newspaper snippets to interviews, proving the narrative’s real life parallels. Whilst graphically warning about the dangers of totalitarian states as a whole, the increasing power of the Christian right and perhaps critiquing America’s dark past (and present) of discrimination and ignoring of the plight of minorities – the novel has sparked much debate. 

Events such as the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022 hauntingly transforms the horrors that unfold within the confines of the ‘speculative’ novel into reality. The text no longer feels like fiction, but a prophecy instead. Yet with this being said, there is hope to be found in the ways in which we have seen women fight (much like the protagonist, Offred) for agency over their own bodies.

Ever since the novel appeared on shelves, its most quoted phrase has been the one that is scratched in the cupboard of Offred’s room by her predecessor; ‘Nolite te bastardes carborundorum’, which translates to ‘Don’t let the bastards grind you down.’ The phrase is turned into an empowering symbol for resistance against the Republic of Gilead over the course of the novel – just as it has become a response to the restrictions of a patriarchal society and a feminist rallying cry in real life, so much so that many women have had this quote tattooed on themselves. Thus, written in the wake of second wave feminism, The Handmaid’s Tale has played a role in several social justice movements, by amplifying the outcry of feminist protestors all throughout history – urging women to voice their truths and add fuel to the demand for women’s rights. The novel also reminds us of the importance of providing all individuals within society equal access to economic freedom.

Another piece of literature that must be included in any argument surrounding the power of literature in sparking or promoting social justice movements is Solomon Notrhup’s slave narrative Twelve Years a Slave. The autobiographical novel is centred around the kidnapping of a free-born African American man who is forced into slavery for twelve years – exposing the inhumane and harrowing realities of slaves working on southern plantations during the mid 19th century.

Published three years after the Fugitive Slave Act in 1853, it is a thorough investigation into the legal and rhetorical systems through which White southerners were seen as owners of Black men, women and children – who were treated like products to be sold and traded. The novel was immensely popular upon release, selling over 30,000 copies, and proved to educate (and continues to educate) Americans and citizens all over the globe about the atrocities that were being committed, thus contributing to the growth of anti-slavery sentiment before the Civil War. 

Yet slavery in its modern forms is far from eradicated. According to the latest Global Estimates of Modern Slavery (2022) from Walk Free, the International Labour Organization and the International Organization for Migration; 49.6 million people live in modern slavery, proving the novel still to be more relevant than ever. The legacy of the text remains today, urging us towards a social and cultural change to do something, anything, and everything to end human trafficking. 

Above are merely two examples that effectively illustrate the role of literature in mobilising social justice movements – but the list could go on and on. Literature is an influential tool that serves as a mirror of sorts, forcing humanity to look themselves in the eye and do better. It forces us to see the need for positive change. We must never take its power for granted. 

‘Twelve Years a Slave,’ 1st ed. 1853 at UCLA” by UCLAnewsroom is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0