The Meadows Marathon

ByCallum Couto

Meadows

On March 3, the annual Meadows Marathon is scheduled to take place, with the location, of course, being the Meadows in Edinburgh. The event is organised by the Edinburgh Students’ Charities Appeal (ESCA) and has been hosted annually since 2007, successfully raising over £238,000, with all proceeds from this year’s event going towards charities Fresh Start and Pilton Community Health Project.

This is the perfect opportunity for both beginner and experienced runners to run for a good cause in an encouraging and inclusive environment. The event offers an alternative to the 42 odd kilometres or 18 loops required for a marathon in the meadows, with different race distances including five kilometres, ten kilometres, a half marathon, a relay marathon for groups of up to nine and of course, the full marathon.

This makes it perfect for both beginners and experts to come out and try running for the first time, as the Meadows serves as the home of Edinburgh’s running culture and a relay marathon , with a full team of nine runners only needing to run less than five kilometres to finish the whole marathon as a relay.

Of course, as a reward for participating, all runners will get a medal and the choice between a t-shirt or planting a tree through TreeNotTees, with Meadows Marathon so far planting 327 trees over the last four years.

Although advance ticket sales have closed, you can still purchase tickets on the day at the Bristo Square Chaplaincy Centre, with registration starting at 8:30 a.m. However, even if you have decided that you don’t want to run, it’s still a great opportunity to either come and learn more about crucial charities or support runners who are running for a great cause.

Overall, there really is no reason not to go down to the Meadows on March 3, whether it be to run, volunteer, support, or just enjoy the spectacle.

The Meadows, Edinburgh, Scotland” by Billy Wilson Photography is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0.