UK opts out of Erasmus Programme

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, has today announced that the United Kingdom has come to an agreement with the European Union over a post-Brexit trade deal after 11 months of negotiations.

For many students, the key headline is the announcement that the UK has decided to no longer partake in the Erasmus Programme. 

The Erasmus Programme, established in 1987, allows students to study at universities in other EU member states for set periods of time.

Over 5000 higher education institutions participate in the programme across 37 countries, and since its inception six million students have taken part – with 300,000 of those coming from the UK. 

Commenting on the UK’s departure from the scheme, the prime minister said: “On the Erasmus scheme, it was a tough decision.

“The issue was that, as you know, the UK is a massive contributor to the higher education economy.

“Over the last decades we had so many EU nationals study here and it’s been a wonderful thing.

“But our arrangements mean that basically financially the UK exchequer more or less loses out on the deal.

“Erasmus was also extremely expensive.”

The prime minister went on to suggest that the UK will develop its own programme that will allow students to study abroad in the future. 

“What we are doing is producing a UK scheme for students to go around the world, it will be called the Turing scheme.

“Students will have the opportunity not just to go to European universities, but the best universities in the world.”

Image: Pixabay

By James Small-Edwards

Editor-in-Chief