The ultimate autumnal movie night guide

ByEva McMonigle

Autumnal outdoor cinema with city landscape behind.

Back to uni, darker nights, and rainier days. What better way to celebrate the season than to snuggle up and watch a good movie? Get your cozy vibes ready; here are some of my favourite movies to watch as the leaves turn orange.

Coraline (2009)

First up is my all-time favourite movie: Coraline. Controversial, I know, but I deem this to be a cinematic masterpiece. The plot is full of thrilling twists and turns, giving us that low-key scary vibe we need for October. The characters are super well-written, there’s so many little details to spot, and the colour combinations in this film provide the perfect autumn vibe. Excellent movie – enough said.

Little Women (2019)

The autumnal landscape is as beautiful as the narrative in this movie. With a fantastic cast starring Saorise Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson and Timothee Chalamet, the characters in this movie really do the novel justice. Although some scenes are totally heart-wrenching, Little Women is one of those feel-good movies, and provides a great commentary on issues such as sexism and classism.

The Harry Potter series

Probably an obvious one, but Harry Potter has to have a mention. This franchise has the best nostalgic and autumnal vibes. Any of the Harry Potter movies is easily one of the best picks to watch whilst cozied up with friends and flatmates.

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Wes Anderson strikes gold with this one, in my opinion. A brilliant adaptation on the childhood story by Roald Dahl, this movie has recently gotten some TikTok spotlight – and rightly so. The stop-motion style this movie uses is super enjoyable, and is definitely a worthwhile watch with an arguably genius script.

Beetlejuice (1988)

I will always be obsessed with Winona Ryder – who isn’t?! Starring alongside Michael Keaton (one of his best performances may I add), this movie is a brilliant watch for anyone who is looking forward to Halloween. The best spooky vibes.

Autumn in New York (2000)

The clue is in the name, but bring tissues for this one. This movie follows a womaniser named Will who gains a new outlook on life after meeting Charlotte who he later finds out is terminally ill. ‘Autumn in New York’ is going to pull on your heartstrings, but it is worth it.

Dead Poets Society (1989)

Dead Poets Society documents boys at a boarding school learning the art of poetry. Any movie starring Robin Williams is going to be a ten out of ten, despite it being a major tearjerker.

Clueless (1995)

A teenage girl classic, this movie is a modern adaptation on Jane Austen’s ‘Emma’. If you’re looking for back to school, back to uni vibes, this is the one to watch. Cher, like Emma, tests out her matchmaking abilities, but ends up meddling and simply causing chaos.

Corpse Bride (2005)

Finally, a spooky movie for spooky season. Tim Burton always gets it right when it comes to Halloween vibes, and Corpse Bride is one of my favourites. This movie gets draws you in , gets you invested and has you rooting for characters. A classic romance with an eerie twist!

Alamo Square Movie Night” by prawnpie is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.