Culture Music Reviews

Thee Sacred Souls debut album blends classic soul with a modern twist 

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

In late August, San Diego trio Thee Sacred Souls released their much anticipated self-titled ‘LP’ and it has become an earworm for soul fans the world over. Produced by Daptone records co-founder Gabriel Roth, this album is a warm and layered record which fuses the sweet 60s sounds of Sam Cooke with the 70s R&B of Marvin Gaye to create a timeless tracklist for the modern generation. 

There is an undeniable charm and wisdom about the trio which speaks to their natural chemistry together. The limitless vocals of singer Josh Lane combined with bassist Sal Salmano and drummer Alex Garcia create an infectious and addictive groove. Speaking of their band relationship, Garcia claims that “Every step of the way has just been so organic. Things just seem to happen naturally when the three of us get together.” Garcia is right, there is something so effortless in their sound that is hard to replicate. Raw talent is a phrase that comes to mind all too often, yet it seems apt when speaking about this band. Their plain-sailing vibe is just one element of their appeal. Behind the scenes, they have been putting in the work and steadily releasing catchy singles for the better part of two years showing dedication to their craft. 

The opening track ‘Can I Call You Rose’ establishes the tone for the rest of the album. A smooth slow jam accompanied by gorgeous horns and a spoken passage that puts most 21st-century romance to shame: “I was meditating on love and you and roses…”. It’s hard for these lyrics to sound cringe when Lane puts his weightless spin on them. This flows beautifully into their second track ‘Lady Love’, reminiscent of an early Leon Bridges on Coming Home. The stunning backing vocals anchor Lane’s beautiful delivery of the yearning of someone looking for a second chance: “If ever I was given forgiveness undeserving / Oh I’d take it…”. A personal favourite ‘Easier Said Than Done’ achieves the tricky feat of combining familiar and uplifting sounds with profoundly contemporary lyrics about honesty: “She said, “Be honest with how you feel” / I said, “That’s easier said than done”. ‘Weak For Your Love’ continues their modern spin on classic soul with an introduction strongly resembling Amy Winehouse’s ‘Back to Black’ – not a coincidence since Winehouse and her frequent collaborator Mark Ronson recorded parts of Back to Black at the Daptone studios. 

If the lyrics may appear saccharine at times, it is Lane’s vocal abilities along with the anchor of the rhythm section that really sells the music. Thee Sacred Souls are a clear example of when talent and opportunity come together. Daptone Records have always merged old and new but this time it feels different. The Southern California trio have created an analogue record for the modern age. Whether you’re hosting your friends for dinner or hunkering down as winter sets in, Thee Sacred Souls proves to be the perfect musical accompaniment.  

Image “Record Player” by yarenlen is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.

Quote Via: https://www.theesacredsouls.com/