Features Lifestyle Recipes

Top festive recipes to get you in spirit

Amidst the endless flurry of deadlines, uncertainty and the wonders and wearies of “hybrid learning,” there is solace to be found in the creation, completion and consumption of some well-earned festive delights. Whether you follow recipes to the letter – crossing the i’s and dotting the t’s- there is plenty here to satisfy your Christmas cravings. 

Image: Sarah Abnett via Flickr

Starting off strong, we’re beginning with a classic mince pie, or as I like to call them, a warm embrace in a pastry case. If you’re looking to zhuzh them up, adding ground almonds or tahini to the pastry gives them that nutty edge. 

Image: Jill Wellington via Pexels

Next up is a silky, soothingly wholesome eggnog recipe. This sweet nectar is warming and full of spices, perfect for a chilly night. It can be made vegan by swapping the cream for almond or cashew milk and coconut milk. 

Try out this Easy Vegan Eggnog recipe

Image: Noelle Otto via Pexels

Do you fancy crafting yourself your own gingerbread creation? There are plenty of templates online, from gingerbread people to humble abodes and libraries. It might be easier to find a seat in your own one than the main lib especially with exams coming up, and can you really go wrong with Mary Berry? 

Mary Berry ain’t got nothing on this

Image: Adriano Sobral via Flickr

For something a bit more luxurious, one of my favourite festive foods is the almighty panettone. A light, Italian sweetbread, this aromatic number pairs well with a mug of hot chocolate or a sweet wine.  

Try this classic Italian panettone recipe

Image: sa-koi via Pixabay

Whether you’re someone ahead of the game who likes to prepare before of December- letting the brandy soak into every morsel of fruit- or someone who will whip one up in the hour of need, there are plenty of recipes for a cracking Christmas cake. 

A classic recipe for a classic cake

Image: FabioVottoGomes via Pixabay

And finally, if you’re looking for something to really tickle your taste buds take a plunge into this showstopping Christmas pizza recipe. Packed full of flavour it will certainly be an unforgettable holiday with this addition to the table. 

Dominoes eat your heart out

Image: Karolina Grabowska via Pixabay