• Sat. Jun 22nd, 2024

Two University of Nottingham students killed in today’s attack

ByJoe Sullivan

Jun 13, 2023
A stone university building against a soft blue sky

Two students at the University of Nottingham were killed in the attack today in the city’s centre.

In a public statement this afternoon, the university said: “It is with great sadness that we confirm the sudden and unexpected death of two of our students following a major incident in Nottingham city centre overnight.

“We are shocked and devastated by the news and our thoughts are with those affected, their families and friends.”

According to Nottinghamshire Police, two 19-year-olds and a man in his 50s were found dead with stab wounds in the city centre early this morning.

Three other people were injured after being struck by a van, believed by police to have been stolen from the man in his 50s.

Police have arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of murder in connection with the deaths and injuries.

Kate Meynell, chief constable at Nottingham Police, said: “This is a very sad day for our city and we will do everything possible to get justice for the victims and their families.

“We are keeping an open mind and are working closely with counter-terrorism policing to establish the facts as we would normally do in this type of circumstance.

“The families of all the victims have been informed and are being supported by specially-trained officers.”

The University of Nottingham’s Students’ Association released a statement on the attack, reading in part: “We are devastated and shocked by the news of the deaths of two of our fellow students in the horrific incident in the city centre last night.

“We stand in solidarity with all our students and the wider community, and our thoughts are with the families and friends of those who lost their lives and the injured, alongside those directly and indirectly affected by the unfolding of these terrible events.”

The organisation has cancelled an annual graduation ball in light of the events, which was scheduled to occur tomorrow night.

Several other universities expressed solidarity with the Nottingham community, with Edinburgh Napier University saying on Twitter: “We’re so very sorry to hear this.

“The thoughts of #EdNapier are with you all during this difficult time.”

The University of St Andrews said: We are so sorry to hear this – our thoughts are with the friends and families of those affected, the people of Nottingham and everyone at @UniofNottingham at this incredibly sad time.”

University Park MMB – 81 Trent Building by Mattbuck is licenced under CC BY-SA 2.0

By Joe Sullivan

Hey there, I'm Joe! I'm The Student's Editor-in-Chief. I love reporting on local happenings here in Edinburgh, and am always looking for tips on what the paper should be looking in to or covering. If you'd like to tip me - or if you'd like to chat otherwise - I can be found at... Text, Phone, WhatsApp, Signal - 07876 154619 Twitter - @_josephsullivan Instagram - @joe92743 Secure email is available on request.