Voices in Focus: Celebrating International Women’s Day with Clitbait

ByElla Raphael

For this year’s International Women’s Day we spoke to Lilah Hyman and Laila Gaffar, the Co-founders of Clitbait Blog, an intersectional, virtual feminist sisterhood which aims to empower and celebrate all women.

How would you define intersectionality and why is it so important within feminism?

“‘Intersectionality’, coined by Kimberlé Crenshaw, is essentially a framework of understanding how different identities intersect to (re)produce either discrimination or privilege. But we can’t limit intersectionality to a theoretical framework, it has to lead to action. This is why its vital within feminist movements. Feminism is the belief that all genders should have equal rights, but often ignores the different identities and intersections that exist within individuals; intersectional feminism aims to combat this. “

How does Clitbait ensure representation?

“Representation is something we’re always striving towards but we don’t treat it like a game of representation bingo. By having a kind and welcoming community – with our amazing team at its heart – by keeping our monthly themes broad and inclusive and by constantly educating ourselves, representation is something that often occurs naturally. “

Is there something Clitbait has done that you are particularly proud of?

“Assembling a team who are so dedicated, passionate and generous, is something we are extremely proud of. Through lockdown we devised the Clitbait Creative Collective, holding weekly creative sessions on zoom to raise money for different organisations. The sessions created a sense of community during lockdown; we created the space for people but they came and made it so beautiful. “

Do you have any feminist icons and if so who?

“Admiration and gratitude for feminist icons, both personal and political, drives our team and community. We are constantly sharing our awe for women, trans and non-binary people in the media, in history and in our lives. On an intimate level, we all have countless family and friends who inspire us. In a broader sense: bell hooks, Marsha P Johnson, and Maya Angelou are three feminist icons who influence and educate our activism.”

Image: Sangavi Sugumar