TV

WandaVision finale review

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

“Your power exceeds that of the sorcerer supreme” was an epic revelation for WandaVision fans in the series finale earlier this month. The slow-burning and compelling Disney+ series has kicked off Marvel’s “phase 4,” and therefore, viewer expectations were at an all-time high in its last few episodes. 

If you’ve watched the series, it’s a much appreciated break from the constant action sequences and common storylines we’ve come to expect of Marvel. Some disagreement has arisen about its overall inconsequentiality, but I think the high fan expectations were slightly insurmountable. The WandaVision finale was exciting, perplexing, and fast-paced, and I think there’s much the series introduced that fans should be excited to see in upcoming Marvel projects.

It is true that the show wrongly teased fans with the introduction of Evan Peters as “Quicksilver”. The MCU’s Quicksilver, portrayed by Aaron Taylor Johnson, was killed off in the second Avengers film, so his reintroduction was hugely surprising. Peters played the character in the X-Men saga owned by Fox, and now that both organizations have deals with Disney, it was assumed that this was the first step in creating a multiple-universe storyline to bridge the two franchises. Therein, it was unanticipated and unfortunate to see Peter’s Quicksilver written off as unrelated to the wider MCU in the final episode. Particularly given Marvel’s trend of combining storylines across multiple features, it was exceedingly odd to have introduced Evan Peters in the role without it being a more significant decision. 

According to creators, one of the major comic books that WandaVision is based on is “The House of M,” which sees Wanda altering reality to remove mutant superheroes from existence. Given the suspense and world-building of the series, many thought similarly grand repercussions for the Marvel universe may be in store for its finale. This could cohesively paint Wanda as the villain for Doctor Strange 2, and would provide some plot direction for “phase 4,” as its inaugural project. Evidently, WandaVision was absolutely less consequential than the work it’s inspired by, and I can certainly sympathise with the disappointment from viewers. “The House of M” is a fan-favorite Marvel work, and for the creators to link the comic book to this series was definitely implicative of a world-altering conclusion that never came. 

All that being said, this series and its finale has still been widely significant to the Marvel universe. Wanda could still very well be the villain of “phase 4,” and with the news that she’s more powerful than the ‘sorcerer supreme,’ Doctor Strange, it seems she will be one of the most significant heroes for the next several Marvel projects. Additionally, the introduction of Monica Rambeau as “Spectrum” could see a starring role for a black female superhero in the near future. Wanda’s son “Wiccan” could also go on to be the first openly LGBTQ+ superhero in later projects (as is featured in the comic books), and it will be exciting to see how the universe continues to encourage the same inclusivity as its preceding written works. Lastly, “White Vision” has seemingly allowed the previously dead “Vision” to return to the franchise. The character has been important throughout The Avengers series, and his return should excite fans for the current direction of the MCU.

Although there was some contention about the WandaVision finale, it’s unarguable that it was entertaining, compelling, and ambitious. This project was originally not meant to be the first of Marvel’s “phase 4,” but given scheduling difficulties amid the pandemic, it took on a great additional weight of expectation by fans. Even so, the series was refreshingly unique, and I believe all kinds of viewers will enjoy its mystery, suspense, and action, right down to its final moments.

Image: Gage Skidmore via Flickr