TV

Wandavision Review: A TV Triumph

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Shrouded in mystery with shocking reveals time and time again, WandaVision is the perfect start to the new generation of Marvel TV shows being produced.

Starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, the show follows the romantic story of Wanda Maximoff (AKA Scarlett Witch) and Vision as they settle into a white picket-fence house parading as civilians living an entirely mundane suburban life in Westview, New Jersey of all places.

As the first couple episodes take us through their daily life in black and white television format, we, the audience, are given no background or understanding of what has happened or if anything consequential will happen at all.

As the episodes progress, each one more ridiculous and sensational than the next, several pieces of the mystery start to fall into place. Yet, the endless stream of questions plaguing us in the audience never seems to fade.

Most importantly, we are left shocked to see Vision. The last time we left him, he was very much dead, as we all know. The stone in his head was ripped out by Thanos; he was one of the few heroes who weren’t just snapped away, but genuinely taken from us.

However, this is just one aspect of the overarching mystery that consumes this show. From the flighty neighbours, to the pops of colour, to the strangers with weird insignias that Wanda feels so threatened by, there is still a lot to unpack in this show.

If you had no prior understanding that these characters were a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it would have been easy to assume otherwise as the style of direction and plot development seem foreign to the naturally action-packed and dramatic nature of Marvel’s great superhero movies. A new step for Marvel, WandaVision is a beacon of hope and a dream come true for Marvel fans like me.

In fact, WandaVision’s insistence on carrying on the sit-com parody rather than rushing into an action-packed show to further the storytelling is a breath of fresh air. The mystery lies in the lack of context and the complete absurdity and almost surrealism of the show.

Rushing into anything in a show such as this diminishes the value of the story and, for me at least, crushes the brief moments of happiness and optimism emitted by Wanda and Vision, no matter how fake we know it might be.

With a new episode rolling out every Friday morning, it will unfortunately not be as easy to binge watch all of it in one go as we are used to. Instead, we are forced to wait, wondering every week what will happen next.

In truth, WandaVision gives a sense of nostalgia for the days before Netflix and Hulu, when cable television was the centre of life and beloved sitcoms such as I Love Lucy used to be the entertainment of the day.

A homage to the generations of past, WandaVision is perfectly balanced – with a great script, great actors, great direction, great production, and cinematography that would make a grown man weep wondering how something as beautiful as this could ever exist.

It is an absolute must-watch and I am excited to see what new TV shows Marvel comes up with next.

Illustration: Eve Miller

By Ece Kucuk

Ece Kucuk served as President of The Student in 2021/22 and is currently a regular contributor to the paper. She was previously Head Editor-in-Chief and Features Editor, she has also been a writer at The Student for over two years. She is going into her Fourth Year of a Master of Arts with Honours in English Language and Literature and plans to do her Postgraduate in Education and Child Development. She has written for every section of the paper as well as written for The Rattlecap and other publications. Some of her favourite works include her reflection on being the child of an immigrant, her piece on introducing ice hockey, as well as her interview with children’s author Mariam James.