Features Resident Philosopher Column

Why everyone should be interested in philosophy

Hello, dear readers. It’s your new resident philosopher here. In my first article of this column, I would like to introduce myself and the purpose of this weekly philosophical analysis.

My name is Azul. I am a philosophy student from Argentina. Among my favorite philosophers are Plato, Nietzsche, Sartre, de Beauvoir, Russel and Foucault.

What most characterizes my philosophy of life (which, ultimately, is the only kind of philosophy there is), is my belief that philosophy is the key to living a full and happy life. I want to share with you why this is the case, and hopefully ignite the philosopher within you so that you may go through life more alert to the beautiful metaphysical intricacies that make our existence so unique.

Philosophy is a fact of our human experience. Some attend to it more than others, but it is an always-latent aspect of our lives, rooted deep within us. Our sense of good and evil, freedom, love, objects, colours, fear, race, gender, society, knowledge—all of these and more are philosophically determined. Many of them we take for granted because that’s just how things work. We don’t spend our days questioning whether our coffee table actually exists. That would render day-to-day life unbearable. We do, however, question our principles, our actions, our values, and our justice system. Most people today agree that our human rights are intrinsic to our existence. Why? Are they? How could such a claim be justified?

This column aims to bring complex philosophical discussions into matters of our daily lives. Too many people think of a lot of very complicated books and indecipherable sentences when they think about philosophy. And, sure, they’re right. But philosophy is also pragmatic. It’s the key to taking control of ourselves. It’s very easy to get lost in the status quo and accept that things work the way they do just because they do. But there’s no reason for this to be the case. Too often we forget that we only have a short period of time on this Earth, and that it is up to us what we make of it.

So, question colours. Question tables, and dogs, and love. Question happiness and desires and democracy and human rights. Question our whole existence. You might have an existential crisis, but once you power through it, you’ll come out the other side much stronger and more sure-footed. And don’t worry, I’ll be here with you, trying to show you that positivity and strength can be found in philosophy.

Have a burning question you think our philosopher can solve?

Need some philosophical advice for your problems?

Want a little more philosophy in your life?

Email us at features.thestudentnewspaper@gmail.com

Image via Flickr