Why is medicine still diminishing the health struggles of women? 

ByHeather Parry

Apr 4, 2023
image of twelve lemons representing symptoms of breast cancer

It is evident throughout history and now due to the prevalence of social media, that the pain and hardships women have to experience are rarely validated. I have seen countless videos in which women discuss being dismissed by medical professionals and heard multiple stories from both friends and family about their pain being ignored or simply labelled as ‘what it means to be a woman.’ Even I have only recently sought help for the side effects of my menstrual cycle after believing and being told for years that it was normal and simply something to adapt to. However, just because it is normal or common doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be dealt with and understood. In consideration, if it is so common for women to go through these emotionally and physically difficult experiences why has no genuinely effective treatment or cure been developed and widely offered? 

One might say that the developed contraception methods such as the pill are the answer to all these problems, and thus it is unfair to say women aren’t supported. The contraception available is widely known to have serious side effects and again, this is something in which little effort has been made to change it. A new link has been discovered between the contraceptive pill and the risk of getting breast cancer- another life-threatening danger related to the pill amongst blood clots, heart attacks and vein inflammation. I don’t say this to put people off contraception as it is essential to stay safe and avoid both period pain and pregnancy, but moreover to raise the question as to why a more safe option hasn’t been developed.

When looking at alternatives to the pill, the IUD can cause chills, severe abdominal pain for 3-6 months, damage to the womb and there is a risk of infection. Additionally, the hormonal implant can cause ovarian cysts, depression and again there is an infection risk. When we consider the widespread outrage over the COVID-19 vaccinations coming with the risk of blood clots, it makes even less sense as to why the potential side effects of female contraception are so easily accepted. 

I believe that if male contraception was moreover developed the side-effects would be ensured to be not as dangerous nor severe- as undoubtedly, the pain women experience is overlooked as normality or simply tarnished as hysterical or an overreaction. Even when considering labour or pregnancy, the downsides and health complications are rarely socially discussed. Only recently through social media have I discovered more about the severity of postpartum depression and the potential tearing of the vagina or vulva as a result of labour. Again, these conditions and side effects are invalidated and diminished due to their acceptance as normality.

Additionally, I would say they are rarely discussed due to the pressure upon women to conceive and the profoundly stereotypical belief that all women should be maternal. Furthermore, women’s health is considered a ‘taboo’ topic instead of an actually essential conversation. The negative societal beliefs and sexist attitudes associated with female sexuality and bodily autonomy have meant it is embarrassing to be seen purchasing tampons or to even requesting a form of contraception in the first place. This is something I hope changes so that girls no longer need to remain silent about their menstrual, emotional or health difficulties. Contraceptive methods evidently need development so that they are much more safe and pleasant, and in turn society and the medical world need to stop labelling female pain as an overreaction or as the normality.

12 Signs of Breast Cancer” by DES Daughter is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.