Women in rugby: a story of changing perceptives

ByMary Pringle

Rugby has long been known as a “men’s game”. The reasons often quoted for this are physicality, injuries, and competitiveness. But this mentality is being challenged by the growth of the women’s game – girls of all ages are engaging in the sport with no lack of physicality or competitiveness.

But are we doing enough as a rugby community? What are the next steps in changing the perceptions of women’s rugby, and how will this impact our future generations?

Recently we’ve seen growing criticisms against the media’s lack of inclusivity. Many female rugby players spoke out about the need for more inclusive media campaigns where professional women players are showcased for young girls to look up to after kit maker Canterbury was included only female models alongside male players in their release of this season’s Irish rugby jerseys.

World Rugby has also recognised the need for change, in pioneering their “Women in Rugby” campaign, which seeks to support and develop women involved in rugby across the globe in all aspects of the sport: playing, coaching, and refereeing.

I spoke to Panashe Muzambe, Edinburgh Uni student and Scottish international women’s 15s player, about her experiences as a woman in rugby and her thoughts on the sport’s next steps.

Muzambe explained that the journey to becoming a Scottish International was not without its difficulties: she had been exposed to rugby since she was young, but was frustrated by being constantly told at school that “the boys play rugby” and “the girls play hockey, netball or tennis.”

Despite having to balance work, school, and rugby commitments, Mazembe was one of many girls who pursued rugby out of love for the sport and the desire to show future generations that it is possible to become a professional.

While there is no doubt rugby has progressed from the attitudes of Mazembe’s schoolteachers, she nevertheless insists “we’ve not progressed enough”. Even at elite levels, the majority of female rugby players around the world remain without contracts, meaning that female contracts should be a priority for unions and governing bodies.
Like everything, change is a process, and what we’ve seen so far is positive, but we need to see more. We want to see more women’s games being shown on the BBC, like this weekend’s clash between England and France, alongside young girls being encouraged to pursue their rugby dreams.

To young girls thinking about pursuing rugby, or to a sceptical parent, Mazembe has a simple piece of advice: “Go and watch a game live”. By feeling the atmosphere, listening to the players, and observing the dynamic on the pitch, especially the respect for the referee and opposition, they may rapidly conclude “That’s the kind of environment I’d want my child to grow up in”.

Beyond players, women are climbing the ranks in all aspects of the sport, with refereeing being a particularly strong area of development. The Irish referee Joy Neville won World Rugby Referee of the Year in 2017, while Edinburgh Uni alumnus Hollie Davidson became the first fully contracted female referee in Scottish Rugby. Women from Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, Scotland and South Africa have now refereed elite men’s games, an idea unheard of not long ago.

Unfortunately, coaching remains an area in need of greater female inclusion at both domestic and international levels, prompting World Rugby to create a “Women Coaching Rugby Toolkit” to help develop aspiring female coaches. Annick Hayraud, head coach of the French women’s team, is an example of the visibility needed to show the world that coaching can be a legitimate career for women; as we were reminded in the Daily Telegraph’s interview with her, “you cannot be what you cannot see”.

Ultimately, the response to the fundamental question of whether women belong in rugby should match Mazembe’s: “Yeah, why wouldn’t they?”. From mums with oranges, girlfriends, and wives supporting, women have always been involved with rugby and they are now rightly taking up roles on the pitch as referees, coaches, and players. Despite previous difficulties, strong and influential women have risen to the top of the rugby stage.

The beauty of rugby is that it is for everyone. Everyone has a part in the game at any level – women included. We will surely only see the women’s game and its following grow.

Image: P. Want via Pixabay