Working out from home during the isolation period: best ways to keep fit

There has never been a more important time to try and stay as healthy as possible and exercise is the perfect way to boost and maintain not only your physical but mental health too.

We all want to play our part in tackling the global pandemic caused by the spread of COVID-19 by following Government advice to social-distance and self-isolate wherever possible, however this doesn’t mean our lives have to come to a grinding halt, we just need to adapt to a new routine.

Whilst it may no longer be possible to get your daily exercise by walking to work or hitting the gym, a home workout can be just as beneficial, if not more, depending on how hard you work!

There is a plethora of free resources online to show you how to find suitable exercise regimes for your lifestyle, depending on how much time, space and equipment you have available at home.

Although it may be hard to find the motivation to perform a full workout from the comfort of your own home, following a planned guide or video tutorial can really help to keep you accountable to your exercise programme and websites including the BBC, YouTube and Instagram have enough free workout guides to last you a lifetime, let alone a lockdown!

Fitness app SHREDDY is launching a free exercise challenge via Instagram on March 23rd where they release a new workout each day for followers to complete, all of which require minimal space and no equipment. Joe Wicks’ ‘The Body Coach Get Fit in 15minutes’ videos are also available for free on YouTube for those with minimal time who still want to keep active. Furthermore, by joining an online community such as Instagram it is possible to connect to a wide support network of other individuals trying to stay fit and motivated during this difficult time.

As sporting events across the globe such as the London, Boston and Tokyo marathons have been cancelled or postponed, many who have been training for months are understandably bitterly disappointed. However, it is important to remember that all the progress made was not in vain as it will have greatly increased your personal fitness levels making you a stronger, healthier and fitter person. By continuing to work out at home all this hard work will not be lost, and when this difficult time of social-distancing passes and normal life resumes, it will be far easier and more enjoyable to get back out there and train.

For those in rural areas who are not required to practice self-isolation it may be more accessible to get outside and go for a run or brisk walk, however it is advisable to do this alone or with members of your own household and at times that you are least likely to come into contact with other members of the public.

Over the past decade Britain’s number one excuse for not getting enough exercise is not having enough time yet thankfully for many our days have abruptly become far less hectic as commutes and social commitments have been suspended, giving most people at least an hour or more extra spare time at home every day.

By setting yourself personal limits such as no Netflix unless you’ve completed some form of exercise that day, this time can be a great way to finally achieve some of your long term fitness goals you haven’t gotten round to.

Image: rob9040 via Pixabay