• Fri. May 17th, 2024

Greek Mythology retellings: the good, the bad and the ugly

ByRhona Bowie

drawing of Perseus slaying Medusa on a blue night-time background

Greek Mythology has infiltrated itself into much of modern life. And with its immense presence in our social lives, it is inevitable that modern retellings have emerged. Authors often spend years studying the Greek tragedies, allowing their own imaginations to take over, altering each character in new ways and granting them with an increasing amount of agency. These books are the perfect form of escapism for many; a world that we cannot imagine with the perfect heroes and villains alike. Yet, in many cases, these mythologies speak to real life – true emotions, experiences and beliefs can be found at the heart of these tales. So, here are my top four Greek Mythology retellings. 

Circe by Madeline Miller

Miller is, for good reason, a well-known figure in these retellings. Both Circe and The Song of Achilles breathe new life into these characters and tell a gorgeous, heartfelt story. However, it is Circe that truly stopped my breath. A powerful witch is exiled to an isolated island, destined to spend her life alone, away from civilization and humanity. Circe spends her time honing her craft and learning to survive in the wild. The writing speaks like poetry, the characters dripping like honey off of the page, slow and languid and with a life of their own. Circe no longer felt like a myth, to me, she was a living, breathing woman, filled with love and yearning and pain. If you take into account any of these recommendations, let it be this one. 

Stone Blind by Natalie Hayes

If you are looking for a gut-wrenching feminist retelling of Medusa, providing the characters with new depths – this, unfortunately, is not it. Much of the book focuses on Perseus’ quest to behead Medusa, rather than on Medusa herself; her hopes and dreams, her fears and shortcomings. It feels far more like the story of Perseus and his trials and triumphs than the story of Medusa. 

Medusa’s Sisters by Lauren J.A. Bear

Now this is the feminist Medusa retelling you are seeking. Bear takes the time to delve into each sister; Stheno, Euryale and Medusa herself. Each weaves a place in your heart, fleshed out and complex. It was like Bear had access to each sister’s inner thoughts; her shame, her greatest desires and fears. The retelling is tragic and beautiful and heartbreaking, everything that a Greek mythology should be. 

Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan

Finally, I truly could not write a (very loose) guide to Greek Mythology books without mentioning the Percy Jackson series. Even though these books are geared towards young adults, there is certainly an aspect to them that is not only comforting, but also a great way to learn. They are full of mischief and fun, but also tense moments that reveal the best (and worst) of people. Retellings can help us situate ourselves in the world, understanding exactly what makes us human.

WALKER, Dugald Stewart (1883-1937). ‘Perseus Slays Medusa’, The Golden Porch, A Book of Greek Fairy Tales, 1925.” by Halloween HJB is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0