• Sun. May 19th, 2024

The trope of the anti-hero

ByAli Lakhany

'Fight Club' in red lettering printed on brown paper

The anti-hero trope provides a morally ambiguous protagonist in literature, who challenges conventional notions of heroism, provoking readers to engage in a deeper exploration of human nature, societal values, and the liminal space between good and evil. When we think of a ‘hero’ in literature, we think of a protagonist who has characteristics like bravery, courage, honesty, and moral integrity. A hero is a figure that the reader roots for through their trials and tribulations, hoping they defeat their ‘enemy’ with the help of their noble peers. In Homer’s epic The Odyssey, for example, Odysseus is a quintessential hero, fulfilling all the criteria discussed above. 

Contrary to the traditional hero figure, the anti-hero provides writers with the ability to explore characters with a more nuanced and morally ambiguous nature. This evolution paralleled the changing values and beliefs within society. When we look at the romantic era of literature for example, a time obsessed with challenging individualism and religion Shelley’s monster in Frankenstein is an illustration of societal shifts. The anti-hero is then not the ‘prototype of man’ as T.S. Eliot suggests, but is instead always flawed. Whether it be a physical altercation Dostoyevsky’s sickly Raskolnikov or a rebellious cynical teenager like Salinger’s Holden Caulfield, the figure of the anti-hero is not one to be admired or to role model but instead an illustration of the humanism that the traditional hero lacks in the society each one is written in. Anti-heroes defy the hero mould – their morally complex and unconventional nature pushes readers to rethink traditional notions of heroism.

These captivating characters challenge our expectations, sparking conversations on the shades of morality and human nature in the stories we love. By focusing on a modern example of an anti-hero, it’s clear to see how they reflect the problems in society today. The infamous Tyler Durden from Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk is a great example of the modern anti-hero – his disregard for morals and love of violence are hardly Herculean yet he rebels against consumer culture and questions the foundations of modern society. 

Anti-heroes serve as thought-provoking figures that push the boundaries of traditional heroism. From the existential angst of Holden Caulfield to the acerbic rebellion of Tyler Durden, these characters invite readers to delve into the complexities of human nature and the moral grey areas that define our lives. Anti-heroes are not just characters, they hold a cracked mirror back to our own imperfections, fears, and desires. 

Fight Club” by jdxyw is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0