• Wed. May 8th, 2024

Alex Salmond launches legal action against Scottish Government

ByJack Davies

Dec 6, 2023
A man sits in-front of a banner looking nervous and sad

Content warning: mention of sexual violence

Former SNP First Minister (FM) Alex Salmond is pursuing legal action against the Scottish Government over alleged mishandling of sexual misconduct claims in 2018.

The Alba Party leader’s lawyer, Gordon Dangerfield, alleges that public officials engaged in: “soliciting false criminal complaints” as well as leaking and concealment “specifically to injure Mr Salmond”.

The alleged mishandling is referred to as “misfeasance in public office” and involves a public official “knowingly and willingly” acting to harm a group or individual.

The case was called at Scotland’s supreme civil court, the Court of Session, with Salmond reportedly seeking “significant” damages.  

Read More: “When I said I would stop the boats, I meant it.” – PM determined to go through with Rwanda plan, despite Supreme Court ruling

During a judicial review in 2019, the court awarded Salmond over £500,000 in legal costs, declaring the inquiry unlawful on procedural grounds and “tainted with apparent bias”. 

The revelation that the investigative officer had previously met the two complainants led the government to concede the review.

The new action names senior figures, including former FM Nicola Sturgeon and Leslie Evans, the ex-Civil Service head who oversaw the 2018 investigation.  It marks the continuation of tense relations between Salmond and the SNP, with Salmond quitting the SNP in 2018 and forming the rival Alba party in 2021.

Salmond has previously alleged “a deliberate, prolonged, malicious and concerted effort” by Sturgeon’s allies – including her husband and Chief of Staff – to damage his reputation.

After the Judicial Review, he was charged and subsequently acquitted of 13 charges brought by nine women of sexual assault, including one of attempted rape. 

Read More: Edinburgh to enforce Scotgov ban on pavement parking from next year

Following his acquittal in 2020, Salmond said evidence he was unable to use during the trial would “see the light of day” post-pandemic. 

It appears he believes that time is near, saying in a statement that: “The calling of the action signals that the day of reckoning for the Scottish Government’s record of misfeasance on this grand scale will inevitably come.

“Not one single person has been held accountable. With this court action that evasion of responsibility ends.”

Responding to the action, Sturgeon’s spokesperson said she: “utterly refutes Salmond’s claims.”

At a recent press conference in Dublin, First Minister Humza Yousaf commented that:

“Unsurprisingly to anyone listening or watching, the Scottish Government will defend its position robustly, but I’ll say no more because that’s a live case.”

Alex Salmond kicks off the campaign” by Ewan McIntosh is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0.