Centre for Research Collections series: Volunteering at the CRC

ByLily Settari

Jun 11, 2019

Have you been reading this series? Do you feel a rising urge to handle precious items guarded by the Centre for Research Collections (CRC)? Are you sad because you cannot think of a way to incorporate the university’s collections into your studies? Despair not, we have good news for you: the CRC is continuously accepting volunteer applications and offers a wide range of opportunities to get involved for anyone with an interest in the heritage sector.

The volunteering programme has been running since 2012, and currently, about fifty volunteers contribute to the success of the CRC. Student Engagement Officer Serena Fredrick highlights that volunteers add a lot of value to the work of the CRC, and while she does not want to hide the fact that there is a waiting list of over forty people, but she nevertheless encourages interested people to get in touch. Both volunteers who are looking for a long-term commitment, and those with a short-term project in mind are welcome. It is certainly a great opportunity for people with different backgrounds but similar interests to meet and mingle, and to gain experience and develop skills in a rich and dynamic sector.

Furthermore, those with career ambitions in the heritage sector and who may have lots of questions about this career path might want to consider applying for the CRC summer school, which will be running from 8th until 12th July. The summer school is a free week-long course, which aims at allowing participants a broad but intensive overview of library and museum collections management and curatorial practices in an interactive, hands-on environment. A team of experts will cover core skills within three broad themes: libraries, museums and archives. Participants will also have the opportunity to take part in a team project based collections, exhibitions or engagement. Sessions will include overviews of the University’s Art, Musical Instrument, Rare Books Collections, Archives, and Digital Imaging Unit; as well as sessions on Conservation, Engagement, Exhibitions and Careers.

Anyone interested should send their CV, together with a 300-word personal statement expressing their reasons for applying and an indication of which area of the CRC’s work they are most interested in, to Serena Fredrick via serena.fredrick@ed.ac.uk no later than Friday 14 June.

Image: Stinglehammer via Wikimedia