Crushing victory for EULRFC in this week’s Sports Round-Up

ByRyan McCuaig

The Edinburgh University Ladies Rugby Football Club 1s travelled to Loughborough to play against the Loughborough University 1s in their first BUCS match of the season. The girls produced a spectacular performance to win the match 88-5 and state their intent as they aim to defend their title.

Meanwhile, Edinburgh University Olympic Weightlifting Club had two lifters at the British under-23 Championships who medalled. Milo Morgan won the gold medal in the 85kg class and Sophie Dunnett came home with a silver in the 58kg class.

In the Edinburgh University Netball Club, the star performance came from the 8s, who travelled to Dundee to play The University of Abertay 2s, and won their game 42-19.

This great away form was matched by Edinburgh University Women’s Lacrosse Club 1s, who endured a seven hour journey to Loughborough before securing a tremendous 16-7 victory against Loughborough University 1s in their first BUCS match of the season.

Elsewhere, the Edinburgh University Squash Club women’s 2s won a hard-fought match over the Waverley 2s. Christina Liu edging a particularly close match, taking it 15-12 in the 5th game.

The Edinburgh University Badminton Club 1s were less successful, suffering a tough start to the season, with a 4-8 loss to The University of Aberdeen 1s. Sadly, EUBC 2s also lost 3-9 to The University of Stirling 1s. However, EUBC 4s claimed an 11-1 victory over EUBC 5s in what was a debut match for EUBC 5s in BUCS!

The Edinburgh University Men’s Rugby Football Club 1s experienced a shock to the system following this year’s varsity win with a very physical 7-44 loss away to Durham University 2s. The EURFC 2s secured a great 12-5 win against The University of Strathclyde 2s. EURFC 3s beat Glasgow Caledonian University 1s 52-7 but the EURFC 4s fell to a 14-24 away loss against The University of Glasgow 3s.

There was a fiery start to the season for Edinburgh University Women’s Hockey Club, with one of the fiercest rivalries in inter-club history as the 2s and 3s played each other twice in a week. The first win went to EUWHC 3s with a 2-1 result and the second match went in favour of the 2s in an almost mirror score of 3-1. All BUCS teams were out playing and with only one team not winning a game as EUWHC 4s lost 0-1 to Edinburgh Napier University 1s.

Edinburgh University Women’s Association Football Club 1s kicked off their Scottish 1A League campaign with a 3-1 home victory over The University of Glasgow 1s. EUWAFC 2s had a tough 0-6 loss opening season match against the newly promoted University of Aberdeen 1s.

Edinburgh University Men’s Association Football Club 1s matched their female counterparts by beating high flying East Kilbride 1-0 at home. The 2s hosted the University of Aberdeen 2s, finishing in a 1-1 draw, while the EUAFC 4s were away to Pathhead in their first league game of the season and came out on top with a 4-2 victory!

There were mixed results for Edinburgh University Basketball Club. The women’s 2s picked up a big 49- 39 away win against The University of Glasgow 1s. The men’s 1s also secured a big 92-69 win against a strong Heriot-Watt University 1s, but EUBC men’s 2s started slowly in their first game in BUCS 1A, losing 44-62 to The University of Aberdeen 1s. Lastly, the men’s 3s lost to The University of Strathclyde 2s, 37-53.

The Edinburgh University Men’s Hockey Club’s start to the season was similarly mixed. EUMHC 1s started their BUCS league campaign with a 3-1 win against University of The West of Scotland 1s, but EUMHC 2s and 3s lost 1-5 and 0-5 to University of Strathclyde 1s and The University of Abertay 1s respectively.

In other news, Edinburgh University Volleyball Club women’s 1s kicked off their campaign on Saturday. Sadly, they lost 1-2 to Edinburgh Jets and 0-2 to The City of Edinburgh. EUVC men’s 2s opened their account with a 3-1 win against Edinburgh Napier University 1s while the women’s 2s lost 2-3 in Dundee against The University of Abertay 1s.

In what will surely go down in Korfball history as one of the great games, The Edinburgh University Korfball Club mixed 2s came out on top, beating EUKC mixed 3s 13-2. They weren’t done there though, going on to topple the giants that are University of Glasgow 3s 17-5. The EUKC 3s, recovered from their loss to the 2s in their first game of the day to beat Glasgow 3s 9-4.

In one of the most impressive stories of the week, Edinburgh University Boat Club had a medallist at the World Rowing Championships in Florida, USA. EUBC team member Gavin Horsburgh came back with his first senior silver in the lightweight men’s quadruple scull.

Image courtesy of Edinburgh University Ladies Rugby Football Club