• Tue. Jun 18th, 2024

Doctrines for a Contented Life: About Time and Past Lives 

ByEmilia Lauder

Richard Curtis at an interview

About Time (2013) and Past Lives (2023), directed by Richard Curtis and Celine Song respectively, explore the fundamental aspects of life—time, love, and loss. Despite being a decade apart, both films depict the directors’ poignant reflections on life’s purpose and the inevitable passage of time. Through the lens of Tim in About Time and Nora in Past Lives, the films delve into the journey of self-discovery during the tumultuous years of early adulthood. Whether it’s Tim navigating the ability to alter pivotal moments in his life or Nora reconciling past romances in the bustling city of New York, both characters grapple with the essence of their existence.

While these films resist easy categorization within specific genres, attempting to confine them to themes of romance, dating, presence, missed opportunities, loss, family, or selfhood proves futile. Instead, both Curtis and Song present life as a mosaic of these elements, intricately woven into the fabric of human experience.

The central characters, Tim and Nora, embark on quests to find purpose amidst the uncertainties of their adult lives. Tim, leaving behind a stable family in Cornwall, and Nora, having migrated from Korea to Canada, face pivotal moments that shape their destinies. Tim’s unique ability to travel through time to rectify key milestones and Nora’s longing to reconcile childhood romances exemplify the challenges of defining one’s life purpose.

Romantic encounters play a crucial role in both narratives, with Tim meeting Mary on a reluctant double-date and Nora finding her future husband, Arthur, at a writer’s retreat. The concept of soulmates, destiny, and irrefutable connections permeates both films. Curtis emphasizes an individual’s power to shape destiny, while Song explores the Korean theory of In-Yun, suggesting a profound connection across 8,000 layers of past lives for married couples. Both films challenge conventional notions of soulmates, asserting that these connections are found rather than crafted.

In both narratives, soulmates serve as stable and supportive forces. Arthur doesn’t flee when Nora reconnects with a past love, and Mary consistently remains the anchor in Tim’s life, regardless of the challenges thrown their way. The directors convey a shared understanding that soulmates see the potential in individuals, enriching their paths toward self-discovery. Both films eloquently capture the essence of loss, be it the departure of loved ones or the inevitable shedding of aspects of oneself during the transformative journey of growth.

Ultimately, About Time and Past Lives beautifully encapsulate the complexities of life’s journey, illustrating that happiness is an ongoing pursuit. Whether through Curtis’ assertion of asserting one’s destiny or Song’s exploration of interconnected past lives, both films celebrate the enduring nature of love, the passage of time, and the profound impact of self-discovery.

11 – Conversation Richard Curtis – Neil Grabowsky” by Montclair Film is licensed under CC BY 2.0.