Edinburgh comprehensively beat Napier to clinch 3 points

ByFlorence Haines

On the 1st of October the BUCS fixtures for EUWAFC got off to a flying start at Peffermill, beating Edinburgh Napier 6-1.

Napier, in their inaugural year in Scottish 3A League, fielded a strong team but was no match EUWAFC’s 2nd team. Coaches James McNeill and Derek Nelson have worked hard during the preseason and trails to mix experienced players and new players.

Edinburgh saw most of the possession early on, pressed hard for the first goal and were rewarded after 17 minutes after Jade Currie drove forward and slotted the ball past the keeper. Minutes later the lead was doubled, Currie the scorer once again! The game then evened out as Napier defended well but after half an hour brilliant work by Jodie Ovens on the edge of the box, calmly take on two players before finishing in the bottom corner! The teams went in at half time with the score at 3-0 in favour of Edinburgh.

Straight from the second half kick off Napier looked more threatening and were playing far more direct football. They rewarded for their efforts when confusion at the back from Edinburgh resulted in a pass back and an indirect free kick. However the effort sailed wide.

On the stroke of 55minutes Currie completed her hat trick after driving down the wing and placing the ball in the far bottom corner! Goals then came thick and fast with first year Carolina Sousa and Liv Gilliam both getting on the score sheet. As the game came into the final 20 minutes Napier pulled a goal back after a cross found a red shirt and was well guided past the keeper.
Unfortunately not long after the game was called to an end by the ref after an Edinburgh midfield badly hurt her ankle. Final score 6-1 and all 3 points to Edinburgh University 2nds! A fantastic team effort and the promotion race has well and truly begun!

This Wednesday, both EUWAFC 1sts and 2nds are away to St. Andrews and Heriot Watt respectively with the 1sts looking to start their title defence strongly. Follow the action from both games on the team’s twitter @EUWAFC.