Edinburgh’s archers toast success in the latest round-up

ByJulia Stenhouse

Edinburgh University Archery Club hosted a Scottish Student Sport League match last weekend, which saw senior and novice teams taking the win. In Ireland at the Indoor Open Competition, two compound archers, Harrisson Ooi and Jordan Mitchell, earned gold and silver. Elsewhere, Sarah Prieels and Hope Greenwood travelled to Luxembourg for the GT Indoor Open competition, where Prieels took the bronze.

Last Saturday, seven teams participated in BUCS matches. This made it the biggest day in Edinburgh University Netball Club’s history. The 1s triumphed with a 68-28 win against the University of Strathclyde 1s, while the 2s won against Heriot-Watt University 1s, 68-50. The 3s faced the 4s in a competitive game which ended 58-42 to the 3s and the 5s lost 50-42 against the University of St Andrews 2s. Elsewhere, the University of Glasgow 3s got the better of the 6s, beating them 44-32, while the 7s lost to the University of St Andrews 4s, 45-16.

Wednesday saw two more BUCS matches for the 1s and 2s as they faced University of Newcastle 1s and University of Nottingham 1s respectively. The 1s finished on top winning 56-31, while the 2s were defeated 55-39.
Most of the Edinburgh University Men’s Hockey Club games were cancelled due to poor weather conditions. However, the 5s’ game went ahead, and saw Edinburgh take control of the BUCS 4A league with a powerful win over University of Stirling 2s, 2-1.

Edinburgh University Badminton Club Men’s 2s won 10-2 against University of Dundee 1s on Saturday and the 3s lost to Glasgow Caledonian University 1s, 7-5. On Wednesday, the Women’s 1s lost 6-2 to Sheffield Hallam University and the Men’s 1s won 6-2 against Leeds Beckett University 1s. Elsewhere the Women’s 2s won 8-0 against the University of Dundee 1s, the Men’s 2s lost 7-1 to the University of Leeds 1s and the Women’s 3s lost 8-0 to Northumbria University 1s.

The Edinburgh University Women’s Lacrosse 2s won against the University of St Andrews 1s, 12-7 on Wednesday, but EUWLC 3s sadly lost, 33-3. However, the score line arguably did not reflect the play.

The Scottish Student Sport League 2 saw Edinburgh University Trampoline Club take home several individual medals as Edinburgh finished in an overall 3rd place. Combined with their medal tally from the Scottish Student Sport League 1, this was more than enough to keep them at the top of the Scottish League.

Three Edinburgh University Ultimate teams took part in the Scottish University Women’s Indoor Regionals. Edinburgh 1s triumphed in all of their pool games to win the final, 9-3, against the University of Strathclyde 1s, to become the Scottish champions. Edinburgh 2s finished in 13th place and the 3s finished 9th.

The Edinburgh University Triathlon clubs took part in the BUCS Duathlon last weekend. A squad member took 3rd place in the race which consisted of a two-mile run, 10-mile cycle and another two-mile run to finish.

Last weekend saw Edinburgh sailing at Forfar Loch in the Scottish Student Sport Ladies Team Racing Championships. Despite it being so cold that the ropes were frozen, Edinburgh managed to win most of their races on Saturday. Placing in the Gold League on Sunday, Edinburgh finished in a strong 5th place.

The Hare and Hounds accomplished ‘textbook domination’ whilst hosting the Scottish University Cross Country Championships last weekend. Edinburgh won the Men’s Individual gold and bronze, the Women’s Individual silver and bronze, Men’s Team gold and Women’s Team gold.

Last Wednesday, two teams from Edinburgh University Curling Club made the trip up to Perth to compete in the second set of games of the Scottish Student Curling League. Both Edinburgh 1s and 2s came away with a win and a loss.

Members of Edinburgh University’s Taekwondo Club travelled over to St Andrews to take part in an International Taekwondo Federation competition. Two members did extremely well, coming 2nd in one category and 1st in another.

Image courtesy of Edinburgh University Archery Club