Logic – The Incredible New Story

ByMarissa Field

It has been clear for quite a while now that Logic is equipped with supreme talent. Since the release of his Young Sinatra mixtape trilogy in 2011, fans have flocked to the 25-year-old’s lyrical ability and story. He quickly garnered recognition from industry legends such as Rick Rubin, Nas, and Big Daddy Kane, en-route to amassing one of hip hop’s most dedicated fan bases. However, despite the hype and the loyal following, it has not all gone uphill from there.

Unfortunately, Logic seems to be continually stuck on a tier below the modern-day hip-hop greats. Artists such as Drake, J. Cole, and Kendrick Lamar simply have something that Logic is missing. Under Pressure, his last studio effort, had some enjoyable tracks, but fell a bit flat with all but his most loyal listeners, and The Incredible True Story falls victim to similar pitfalls, not to mention its criminally cliche title.

It seems as though Logic’s quest to reach the pinnacle of the rap industry has been heavily influenced — perhaps too much so — by those that are already there. Songs like ‘Run It’ and ‘Like Whoa’, which aren’t bad both un- necessarily employ catch phrases made popular by both Cole and Drake’s re- cent work, and the album opens with a classic Kanye drum pattern. But the most frustrating example comes with ‘I Am the Greatest’, which is essentially a terrible Drake song.

Logic’s talent and immense dedication still shine through on the album, and in some cases more so than they ever have. The album’s concept — a narrative sci-fi story following charac- ters Quentin Thomas and William Kai on their journey through space to the planet Paradise — is interesting, and songs like ‘Innermission’ are indica- tive of the type of artist Logic can be. The production throughout the album consistently amazes, with visionary in- house producer 6ix and Logic himself exhibiting undeniable improvement over past work. As on ‘Innermission’, Logic’s at his best when telling his story and getting things off his chest. His future is still bright, but if he wants to transcend himself in an unforgiving industry, he must embrace the things that make him unique, instead of trying to emulate what has made others great. – ***

By Marissa Field

Editor In Chief, 4th Year Philosophy and English Literature Student