Sorting through the books on the Independence Referendum

ByChloe Henderson

Image: http://www.readcwbooks.com/books.jpg

As the nation gears itself for the big vote this Thursday, the ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ campaigns are slowly beginning to draw to their close. Having fought tooth and nail for their respective positions over the last few years, a sea of written media lies in their wake. It’s easy to see why these publications may seem redundant after September 18th; after all, what’s the point in reading a persuasive piece when a decision has already been made? On the contrary, Referendum literature – both fiction and non-fiction – will mark a key point in Scotland’s history regardless of the outcome. That’s why the Student has decided to compile a list of some of the most influential and well known contributions to the debate’s written platform, representing the views of both the ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ campaigns.

Arts of Independence, Alexander Moffat and Alan Riach

Riach and Moffat make the cultural case for Scottish Independence. Equating nation-building with the emergence of ‘high-culture,’

Yes: The Radical Case for Stunning Independence, James Foley and Pete Ramand

A passionate argument for a more socially inclusive and progressive Scotland.

Independence: An Argument for Home Rule, Alasdair Gray

An argument that true independence will only exist when every citizen of Scotland feels they are at the centre of the world.

Women Saying No: Making a Positive Case Against Independence, Maria Fyfe

An assemblence of fourteen Scottish female political voices making their case for a NO vote in the referendum.

The Road to Referendum, Iain Mcwhirther

The story of how Scotland reached the crossroads of independence, taking us back through Scottish history to the present.

Scottish Independence: Weighing Up the Economics, Gavin McCrone

An analysis into the economic consequences of both independence and sticking to the Union.

Scottish Independence: Yes or No (The Great Debate), George Kerevan and Alan Cochrane

Two of the nation’s leading political commentators address both sides of the debate; one in support of ‘Yes’, one for ‘No.’

By Chloe Henderson

Chloe Henderson is a 3rd year history student and ex-Culture Editor for The Student. She now writes for various sections of the paper, with a particular focus on Science & Tech. Her dream job is to be a superhero, but failing that, a Middle East correspondent for Al-Jazeera.