Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

ByScarlett McCabe-Abel

Hold back your tears as this is the last time you will be taken to a galaxy far, far away. After 42 years, the saga has finally come to an end. Prepare to be reacquainted with old friends and introduced to new ones in what promises to be a plot-twisting, if somewhat long, finale.

I was thoroughly impressed by the special effects and iconic soundtrack which make Star Wars what it is: a masterpiece. Arguably, the saga could never be what it is without the original cast. If they didn’t make an appearance, one may question if the film is even Star Wars.

However, while Rey (Daisy Ridley), Finn (John Boyega) and Poe (Oscar Isaac) cannot rival the original trio of Luke (Mark Hamill), Han (Harrison Ford) and Leia (Carrie Fisher), you can’t argue that they don’t have chemistry. They are the new trio, bringing Star Wars into the 21 st Century.

It seems very apt timing that a film which prides itself on having hope, even when there appears to be none, is released in today’s political climate. Just because it is a new year and a new decade, doesn’t mean that all the problems from the past have gone away. In fact, they need to be addressed now more than ever.

Just being in the cinema and watching the opening titles transports you back to when you saw Star Wars for the very first time. Remember how excited you were? Well, that excitement has not gone away, it has stayed, much like Star Wars has in our hearts. You know that you are watching something special when you are watching Star Wars. Its credibility and authenticity places it above all other film franchises, making it the ultimate saga as far as I’m concerned.

I was thoroughly impressed by the representations of people from different nationalities and the LGBT community. In Star Wars, the Resistance is made up of a group of people who don’t really fit in, but when they join together, they are unstoppable. So, the film, alike with all the other Star Wars films, promotes inclusivity and a sense of belonging. No one is an outsider. Everyone has a purpose. There is hope.

As sad as it is that the saga is finally over, all good things eventually must come to an end, and you will always have the original films to look back on. The magical things is that Star Wars can be enjoyed by devoted fans or discovered by new faces. The story may be over, but the force will be with us…always.

Image: KAMiKAZOW via Wikipedia Commons