Strong start to the season for Edinburgh Uni teams

ByJulia Stenhouse

Wednesday was a very successful day for the Women’s Hockey club, with the six teams competing all enjoying six wins. The unbeaten second XI underwent a long journey up north to face rivals Aberdeen University 1s. Finishing the game with at a slick 4-0 win, the second XI returned south triumphant to celebrate.

The third XI had a cracker of a first BUCS match winning 5-0 against Glasgow University’s 2s.
Elsewhere the 4s won 3-1 with an excellent team effort. Particular highlights were a fantastic goal from Lucy Harley and some unbelievable saves from the goalie.

The 5s also had a storming start to their first ever BUCS match, beating Stirling University 3s with an epic score of 17-0. With a mix of rookies and seniors, the whole team gave their all. Finishing up with a strong six goals for the 6s against Heriot Watt University 2s, Wednesday, October 5 was a smashing day to be part of EUWHC.

The SKGB Kumite Championships, held at Meadowbank, saw all of the Shotokan Karate members putting up a good fight. Congratulations should be given to Ashiah Zulkefli, Suzuka Nakagawa and Kylie Barnard who each won Bronze for their respective individual categories, as well as Bronze in the female team event.

Edinburgh University Netball Club had two matches this Saturday, which saw EUNC 4s take on Dundee 1s (40-28) – a debut for four first years – and EUNC 3s take on Napier 1s (58-47) in what was a strong fight until the end.
The Mountaineering club spent last Sunday climbing in Bowden Doors: a long, beautiful crag in Northumbria. About 50 people went, many of them new to the club and the sport. Apart from climbing, there was plenty of time for bonding and banter to make for a fantastic time.

The Tennis Club saw the Men’s 4s beat Dundee Men 2s, with a good 12-0 win. The Men’s 3s followed with an 8-4 win against Stirling Men’s 3s. Finally, the Women’s 1s fought hard and emerged with an impressive draw against St Andrews.

The World Archery Field Championships took place in Dublin this weekend. Four members from EUAC shot for their countries, in individual and team rounds. Most notably, barebow archer Jessica Nilsson became a World Field Team Champion, as part of Team GB.

The Triathlon club presented a strong showing in the results with Paul Kerr finishing first in under an hour and Nicholas Allen following up in second place just five minutes behind.

Three students from the Taekwondo club came away with two medals after taking part in the ITF Scottish Championships on Sunday. Particular congratulations go out to Filip Bartoszewski, competing in his first ever Taekwondo tournament.

Wednesday saw history made in women’s football, with a first XI team playing a second XI in the top division for the first time ever. The 2s managed to keep up the tempo into the second half and made life very difficult for a strong Edinburgh 1s team. The game ended with a 3-0 win for the 1s despite the 2s’ fantastic performance, which bodes well for both teams moving on with the season.

Edinburgh University Shinty Club celebrated its 125th anniversary last weekend with a smashing set of alumni versus current team games as well as a celebratory dinner and ceilidh held at Teviot Row House. On the Women’s side the alumni players triumphed (6-4). The Men’s teams fought hard, but EUSC quickly gained the upper hand against the alumni and maintained their strong performance to win the game 5-1.

There was also cause for celebration on the basketball court, with all four of Edinburgh’s teams tasting sweet victory. The women’s second team saw off Glasgow 1s 62-41, while the third team romped to a 69-2 victory over West Lothian College.

As for the men, Edinburgh 1s beat local rivals Heriot Watt 54-43, and the second team came out on top in an entertaining 100-81 match against Stirling. A solid start to the season sees the women’s first team open their campaign on Wednesday against Loughborough.

Image courtesy of Edinburgh University Women’s Hockey Club