Preview: Upcoming Gigs in Week Five

ByRoss Devlin

This upcoming week is a good one for those with eclectic taste, the highlight is John Carpenter’s career retrospective. Known for directing a series of slasher flicks that defined campy 80s horror, Carpenter has experienced a renaissance as a composer of eerie synth music. His ‘night of terror’ will take place at Usher Hall on Saturday.

Later that night, DJ Little Louie takes on the Caves. Fractal Club is also launching their series of high-profile nights on Saturday, which will feature some of the hottest producers in Glasgow and Edinburgh as residents. The launch night is at a secret location (with a secret guest), so check out Facebook. Moving to Glasgow, American stoner metal group Weedeater play Carthouse on Tuesday, 18, while at Stereo, the enigmatic plunderphonics producer (and stalwart of the burgeoning cassette scene) Foodman will headline what will surely be a unique experience.

On Wednesday in Edinburgh, local club visionaries Overground, Crème Fresh, and Shapework will come together to showcase Tasker at the Mash House. For a double dose of psych rock back in Glasgow, Jagwar Ma play the amazing Art School venue on Thursday.

On Friday, it is Goat at the O2 ABC. Finally, on Sunday, 23 there is Warpaint at the Queen’s Hall, although one potential conflict is Daughter, another excellent female-fronted group, who will play the O2 Academy in Glasgow.

Photo: pgstage

By Ross Devlin

@BossDevlin