A Little Spot of Beauty

ByEmma McFarlane

Over the past year, lipstick has become one of my favourite make-up items. I do often ask myself why it took so long for me to discover my love for lipstick. I think lipstick can complete your look; it adds a bold finishing touch. Now that winter is upon us it’s time to say goodbye to the pinks and peaches and welcome the warmer, fiery shades of red. This is just as well for me because red lipstick is by far my best-loved colour and has become a staple for me to apply in preparation for any night out, a meal or in truth any occasion that I can get away with wearing it.

Finding a shade…

I think that red is a universal colour for the lips, with different shades suiting different skin tones. I’m not going to pretend I’m an expert on this but a quick search on Google will help you find the right shade for you. Also No. 7 has a “Match Made Service” which you can access online or head along to a large Boots branch in Edinburgh such as the one on Princes Street or in the St. James Centre. For me (and my pale skin) the best red lipstick I have used to date is from the Clarins Joli Rouge Lipstick range. The shade is fittingly called ‘Clarins Red’ (716). At £19.00, this lipstick gives you ‘moisturising intense colour’ as the website boasts; it looks great, doesn’t dry out your lips and lasts a considerable amount of time. If a true red doesn’t suit your skin tone I would suggest that you take a look on the Clarins website for a different shade that is more to your complexion. Clarins does not seem to be as popular with students as MAC or Benefit but their products are of a high quality and comparative pricewise – a lipstick from MAC costs £15.50. However, if lipstick is not something you really want to splash out on (we students have many things to prioritise) then I can recommend Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick in ‘Really Red’ (06), which is retailed at £7.49. I have a friend who uses this shade and her lips are pretty enviable.

While having red lips is the quintessential look, it is good to try something different. My number two lipstick is also by Clarins, this time from the Rouge Prodige range in ‘Dark Cherry’ (135). It also costs £19. Again, similar shades can be found by Revlon for slightly cheaper if you prefer. What I like about the ‘Dark Cherry’ lipstick is that it’s slightly more edgy and I think this dark, sultry tone is perfect for winter.

Application…

Once you have found the right shade there then comes the trickier stage of application. I used to apply lipstick directly from the tube which often resulted in a ‘child who cannot colour inside the lines’ type of look. I have recently realised that lip liner and a lip brush are my saviours when it comes to applying lipstick. Use a lip liner to accentuate your cupid’s bow and then trace the outline of your lips – this will define your lips and make application easier. Applying make-up is an art form and so a brush is definitely necessary for first time application and I’ve found using one lessens the likelihood of having to touch-up – which is good for nights out because trying to redo parts of your makeup in a crowded club bathroom whilst under the influence of that whole bottle of wine never goes as planned. Using a brush undeniably makes putting lipstick on much easier and helps you to stay within the lines!

Another perk about lipstick it that it enhances your smile. So if you’re not a habitual lipstick wearer already, why not give it a go?