• Sun. May 19th, 2024

“Categorically untrue”: data reveals that no foreign dignitaries have been hosted in Peter Mathieson’s residence despite prior University claims

ByMaryse Bots

Exterior shot of Regent Row flats: gray stone, balconies, tall windows.

Peter Mathieson’s Regent Terrace house has not been used to host “international guests and dignitaries” as previously claimed by the University, after they admitted that no foreign dignitaries have attended the residence.

In response to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request, submitted by UCU Edinburgh branch member Dr. Jonny Dennis, the University admitted:

“There have been no dignitaries who have attended any of the events.” 

However, the University repeatedly claims that the expenditures for the upkeep of the house is justified by the residences’ use as a place to “welcome international guests and dignitaries,” which “strengthens the university’s global reputation and increases our partnerships and potential funding streams.”

Read More: Edinburgh Council set to declare a housing emergency

The FOI request further revealed that there have been fewer events since Covid-19 restrictions were lifted. 

31 receptions were held at the residence between February 2018 and March 2020, however there were just 16 events between April 2022 and November 2023.

There were only four events at the residence throughout the whole of 2023.  

Dennis commented to The Scotsman on the information released by the FOI, stating:

“The university’s claim that the residence is regularly used for hosting foreign dignitaries is categorically untrue according to the university’s own data. 

“Under Mathieson’s tenure, the mansion has seen a decline in the number of events hosted in general, most recently averaging just four per year.”

He further argued that the events are “often just catered lunches and parties for senior management,” which “hardly justify the substantial upkeep of such a property.”

This comes after the University has been widely criticised by staff and students for the high expenses of Mathieson’s house. 

In November 2023 it was reported that the University paid £26,000 more in the 22/23 academic year than the year before, including £1,089 on works for Mathieson’s Eucalyptus tree. 

Read More: Mathieson’s mansion: students react to £26,000 increase in expenses, including Eucalyptus

One student responded to those costs to The Student, saying:

“Our assessments only receive 5 minutes of marking time and lectures are often cancelled. It is unbelievable that the principal has his property expenses paid while the university does not pay its staff properly.”

A University of Edinburgh spokesperson told The Scotsman:

“The principal’s residence is not used solely as a family home but also frequently as a venue for hosting formal university events, and as such, the institution covers fuel costs and costs for maintaining the building.”

1963 21 regent pw….” by foundin_a_attic is licensed under CC BY 2.0.