Halloumi burger returns to Teviot menu

BySimon Fern

The halloumi burger is set to return to the Teviot Library Bar menu in the coming week, after over a year of students protesting its removal.

Speaking to The Student about the halloumi burger’s return, Jenna Kelly, the Students’ Assocition’s Vice President Services, said: “this is really a response to demand; it was quite clear that this is what students wanted on the menu.”

The halloumi burger is one of a few new vegetarian options showing up in various Teviot dining areas, in part due Kelly’s other new initiative, ‘Meat-Free Mondays.’

In reference to these changes, Kelly responded: “We are trying to accommodate; we’ve had students asking about increasing the range of vegetarian options.”

Kelly also qualified that she hopes to change the menus to accommodate all student requests, not just those of vegetarians. “The same rule applies to non-vegetarians, and vegans, and those who have food intolerances,” she said.

Kelly highlights that this is part of a greater initiative to introduce a more democratic approach to catering in Students’ Association venues.

“Students should lead the decisions on catering, because they are the ones doing the eating,” Kelly said.

As a result of this approach, comment cards for menu suggestions and general feedback are being introduced into all Students’ Association catering venues.

According to Kelly, canvassing student opinion in this way made it clear very quickly that the return of the halloumi burger was a top priority of the student body.

The Student spoke to students around campus about this new development. Adela Briansó reacted to the news by yelling “oh my god – highlight of the week!” whilst Aleksandra Tsvetkova went into more detail: “Halloumi makes me happy – it’s so salty and nice. I will go and have one for the good old times.”

On the topic of an improved range of vegetarian options, Katie Lawrence declared that the reintroduction of the halloumi burger was “super exciting, especially if they’re keeping the bean burger – it’s just nice to having the options instead of just salad.”

Patrick Garratt, Vice President Academic Affairs, to The Student that he is “pretty psyched” for the launch, despite “having never eaten a halloumi burger before.”

The official launch of the burger is Monday 7 November, 6pm-9pm with an evening of free samples hosted by the Students’ Association in the Teviot Library Bar.

Image: Jen Collins

By Simon Fern

President 2016-2017 Comment Editor (2015-2016) Fringe Theatre and Dance Editor (2016) 4th Year History and English Literature student.