• Mon. May 6th, 2024

University of Edinburgh and UCU release joint statement on industrial action

ByLucy Frewin

UCU Edinburgh protest, protestors hold a purple UCU banner.UCU Edinburgh protest

The University of Edinburgh and the University and College Union (UCU) Edinburgh have released a joint statement in relation to the ongoing dispute over pay and working conditions. 

The statement released on 4 August announced that the university has agreed to pause pay deductions for staff currently taking part in the marking and assessment boycott. 

UCU Edinburgh is therefore recommending to members that they cancel scheduled strike action for September that was called in response to the pay deductions. 

The university’s UCU branch is also recommending members not seek authorisation for further local strike action, except in response to escalation by the university, until the end of their mandate on 30 September.  

Read more: Student protest calls on the university to meet the demands of the UCU: University of Edinburgh and UCU release joint statement on industrial action

The announcement stated that: “Escalation on both sides is taken to mean acting against either the terms or spirit of this agreement, resulting in further disruption to students”. 

It continues: “This period of relative calm will allow all staff to return to working normally”. 

The statement makes clear that the issues currently being negotiated between UCEA and UCU continue to remain on the national table, rather than being resolved locally.

This includes the ongoing marking and assessment boycott. 

Read more: UCU: Thousands of Edinburgh students could graduate without full marks: University of Edinburgh and UCU release joint statement on industrial action

However, both UCU Edinburgh and the university acknowledged the disruption to students caused by the marking and assessment boycott, highlighting that it is in the interest of all that the dispute is resolved. 

In the statement, the university accepted that some UCU Edinburgh members may only begin to undertake outstanding marking and assessment when the dispute is settled nationally, or the MAB is ended. 

The joint statement has encouraged UCU members to prioritise outstanding marking so exams are able to run smoothly. 

UCU Edinburgh Parliament” by Magnus Hagdorn is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.