The Art of Hospitality — Review

ByMeredith Bailey

Venue: 13 Claremont Crescent, Crescent House (Venue 109)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Fringe is back. And with the steady flow of old and new faces, acts, and names for nightclubs, it’s easy to get swept away in the fierce frenzy of it all. (Free Sisters? Did you mean Six Tits?) But, if you’re looking to meet a new familiar face, make it Michael Worobec at The Art of Hospitality. 

A mix of passion and paint plaster the walls of this gorgeous Georgian home, nestled in its leafy crescent. Despite the familiarity, we’re not in Marchmont. Rich light floods the ground floor and bounces off every canvas, plant pot, and sink. In this cornucopia of creativity, each item is its own work of art. The house and its residents are new old friends, welcoming you in and relinquishing your need for “meteorological comment”[1]. Why bother with the weather when you can stand in the downstairs loo and discuss the artist’s choice of frame with the artist themselves?

The kaleidoscopic palette of “lettuce greens”[2] and “citrus yellows”[3] of Venue 109 leaves you in a grey area, questioning what the house is – home, guesthouse, and exhibition all at once. But don’t read into that; Worobec’s home offers something for everyone. Whether you’re staying put or moving into somewhere new this year, dare yourself to look beyond the flatpack facades of IKEA. Indulge in the work of an artist who curates houses not only for a living but out of an affinity to the city’s community of creatives. This is his home and you’re all welcome to stay.

If your lockdown involved more cabinet reshuffles than Westminster circa February 2020, find comfort in this house of (sensory) rewards. Spiralling up the stairs (shoes off, please) onto the first floor, there’s a lot to ponder. Seeking some pre-semester reading? Find a quiet spot and a drink and sit with one of Worobec’s essays. Don’t worry, there’s no test at the end, unless remembering to take your shoe covers off when you leave counts.

[1] Dervla Murphy. Wheels Within Wheels. 1979.
[2] Michael Worobec. 2021.
[3] Michael Worobec. 2021.

Aug 6-30, times may vary
https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/art-of-hospitality
Image credits: Crescent House