• Fri. May 3rd, 2024

Fringe 2023: Paul Merton’s Impro Chums

ByJemima Hawkins

the five cast members

Opening day nerves? Not a glimpse. This highly renowned improv show is without a doubt a league above the rest thanks to the quickest wits in comedy and a willingness to make a bit of a fool of themselves in the name of hilarity and viewer delight.

The ‘Impro Chums’ in question are Suki Webster, Richard Vranch, Kirsty Newton, and Mike McShane, and with host Paul Merton, they take audience suggestions to create a hilarious show that accurately demonstrates their positions as masters of the improvisation craft.

It is difficult for a prepared stand-up show to remain consistently amusing for an hour, let alone one totally improvised, but the chums bounced off each other in brilliant harmony amid a cocktail of different audience-led games. The nature of the show was as follows: give a prompt to the audience, select the most outlandish response and craft the wittiest of amusement in what could be called ‘tomfoolery’.

To name a few, as I can rest assured, they won’t be seen again: a scene in which Gordon Ramsay was fighting with a leaf blower; a panel discussion on the ethics of aardvark cage fighting; and a neighbourly row over an apple tree that manifested itself into being a Who Do You Think You Are episode on Nigel Farage. Yes, you read all that correctly – and that was just the first half.

This is the type of non-stop, laugh-out-loud comedy, that you could see over and over again and never tire of. Though Merton’s reputation is reflected in the ticket price, only true confidence in his abilities as an entertainer could leave this show without a moment of silence or hesitation.  Aided by equally funny accomplices and a live piano soundtrack from Kirsty Newton that adjusted to the nature of the improv (the shift from a burlesque to punk rock soundtrack within moments was particularly impressive), Paul Merton is everything you know and love.

This show is an exquisite demonstration of the hilarity of improvised comedy.

Paul Merton’s Impro Chums is on at Pleasance Courtyard – The Grand at 3:30pm from 11 till 20 August. Tickets are available here: https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/paul-merton-s-impro-chums.

Image provided to The Student as press material.